MEWSie Matt Frankel writes:
Newark Public Schools (NPS) is looking to hire a head of internal communications. The position would be part of a twelve person team based in NPS’ central office at 2 Cedar Street, Newark.
Below is the job descriptions.
Strong candidates should please email me directly at email@example.com.
The job description is below.
Newark Public Schools (NPS) is in an historic period of change. With the appointment of Superintendent Cami Anderson and a significant level of national attention and investment, Newark has an incredible opportunity to transform the school system into one that ensures that all of its students graduate with the reading, writing, critical thinking, analytic, and quantitative skills to succeed in the college or career of their choice. In NPS, all means all – including students who fall behind or have been considered “hard to serve” for a host of reasons.
Currently, NPS has 71 schools serving 36,814 students, of whom 89% qualify for free or reduced price lunch and 92% are students of color. Within the district, a sizable number of students do not meet or exceed state standards, and just over half of those who attend high school graduate with a diploma. Superintendent Anderson is building a talented and committed leadership team to partner with her in moving NPS towards the ambitious goal of preparing all students for success.
The NPS Communications Department is responsible for promoting NPS’ work and initiatives, strategic communication within and outside of NPS, and managing the NPS brand. Communications oversees media relations, online communication, and a public access television channel and collaborates with every NPS department to drive employee and constituent relations.
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Serve as the point person for all NPS employee and internal communications Ensure that all NPS constituent groups have targeted and valued communications
Develop and manage communications tools, including but not limited to newsletters, email/text blasts, video displays
Develop audience-tailored messaging aligned to District priorities
Ensure message alignment across platforms and audiences
Regularly assess efficacy of tools and messaging
Proactively identify and execute solutions to internal communication challenges
Collaborate with Communications team members and key District staff to develop and execute promotional campaigns
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following:
Vision and Courage to Ensure All Students Achieve
● Passionately believes that all students can achieve at high levels.
● Holds self personally responsible for ensuring high academic achievement of all students.
● Develops, articulates, and builds buy-in to a clear vision and mission.
● Offers innovative solutions to seemingly intractable problems.
● Unwavering commitment to getting the job done; willing to go above and beyond and do what it takes at any time to meet the needs of NPS’ students.
Communication and Public Relations
● Superior written, editing and verbal communication. Tailors message for the audience, context, and mode of communication.
● A proven record of publishing communication projects and writing strong editorial driven content.
● Builds coalitions and works collaboratively with diverse stakeholders at all levels.
● Able to foster consensus and resolve conflicts. Exhibits willingness to have difficult conversations.
● Skillfully navigates existing political structures/systems. Strategic Planning and Effective Execution
● Exhibits strong focus on goals and results. Sets clear metrics for success.
● Thrives in achievement-oriented and fast-paced environment.
● Demonstrates outstanding critical thinking skills, including the ability to analyze data, identify trends, pinpoint problems and root causes, and develop innovative solutions.
● Demonstrates excellent execution and project management skills, including ability to balance the big picture with detailed steps.
Effective Problem Resolution
● Supports the prioritization and alignment of people, time, and resources to the most important issues.
● Able to coordinate across multiple departments and build effective relationships to efficiently identify the best and most timely solutions.
● Provides feedback/support that assists others in maximizing their contribution. QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
￼￼￼￼1. 2. 3.
1. 2. 3.
Five (5) or more years of related experience preferred.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required. Master’s degree in a related field preferred.
SALARY, EMPLOYMENT PERIOD, AND UNION AFFILIATION
￼Salary Range: Employment Period: Union Affiliation:
$85,000 to $95,000 Twelve (12) Months Unaffiliated
HOW TO APPLY
Newark Public Schools is only accepting electronic applications.
If you are not currently employed by Newark Public Schools, please apply online at www.nps.k12.nj.us. If you do not have access to a computer, we welcome you to visit the Newark Public Schools Employment Kiosks located at 2 Cedar Street, on the 8th floor Human Resource Services reception area between the hours of 9 am and 5pm Monday through Friday. Help will be available.
If you are a current Newark Public Schools employee with access to the Employee Self Service (PeopleSoft) web site, you must apply via the Employee Self Service online process. While logged into Employee Self Service, please make sure all of your contact information and credentials are current in the system. Use: http://npsbusinessportal.nps.k12.nj.us:7000/psp/PPRD/EMPLOYEE/EMPL/h/?tab=PAPP_GUEST.
If you are a current Newark Public Schools employee without access to the Employee Self Service (PeopleSoft) web site, please send a cover letter and resume (Microsoft Word formatted attachments only) to the following email address: NPS-Recruit@nps.k12.nj.us. Please include the job opening id (listed below) in the subject line of your email.
￼￼￼￼￼￼OPENING DATE: CLOSING DATE: JOB OPENING ID:
October 15, 2013 Until Filled 15333
THE NEWARK PUBLIC SCHOOLS IS AN
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/ AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYEE